There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Mountain Sheep!

Since moving to AZ, we've taken a number of roadtrips. Most take us across Hoover Dam, where we spend much of the time looking for "Mountain Sheep" (our pet name for Mountain Goats).

The latest trip seemed no different as we passed through the dam without a sheep in sight. As usual, we kept moving and told ourselves we'd spot some another day...

Who knew that day would come so soon!

We were driving out of Hawthorne, NV (the town I called home during 6th grade), making our way around Walker Lake, when Granny K spotted something moving. It seemed fate was on our side as a turnabout appeared out of nowhere so I could whip the van around and take a closer look. Below is what we saw first...

Nothing.

And then -- they started coming down the hill.

Not two.

Not three.

Not four.

SEVEN! Seven mountain sheep!

We went crazy! I was able to capture five in one photo and as you can see, unless you have the opportunity to sit still and watch for movement, you'd easily miss them.

We stayed and watched for a long time -- amazed at the marvelous creatures and their agility. The baby, who barely had horns, was our favorite. Had he not been surrounded by his herd, I think he would've come closer to say hello (thanks to our box of Cheez-its).

As much as I wanted to pat his little head and hug him, I knew it was best that I not encourage any bonding with humans. *SIGH*

What's really funny is that my mom has been in Reno for over 15 years and this is the first time she finally saw mountain goats in person. The girls and I consider ourselves lucky for having to wait only two. It's a moment we'll treasure and talk about on every future roadtrip!

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I've never seen a mountain sheep either. I probably never will since we go to vegas once in every 10 years. Hey, Darcy helped me redo my blog too. I love it.

Me and The Boys said...

Tamara- I hope all is going well for you back east. I know I still owe you the rest of you money, shoot me an email and we will get in touch. -k- I sure miss ya.. hope the girls are enjoying their daddy!