There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Monday, April 20, 2009

Remembering Patty (1960-2009)

My cousin Patty lost her battle with cancer on Saturday. She was 48.

Most of my memories of her are from events that took place before I was 11, when we lived closer to each other.

The fondest memory I have of her is the weekend she spent with my family in Hawthrone, Nevada. She was 21, and to my 11-year-old eyes, she was blonde, beautiful and totally cool.

Patty played dolls with me (I had just gotten Golden Dream Barbie) and taught me how to crack and eat sunflower seeds. She was a great teacher because I continue to eat sunflower seeds to this day. In fact, The Man used to call me Sunflower Girl because I'd eat them every other day.

To many, those may seem like small things considering all of the other wonderful and more significant things Patty did throughout her life. But to me, they are cherished memories and meant the world to a girl with mostly boy cousins (0 girls on Mom's side / 3 on Dad's side -- Debbie, Patty and Susan, who are all 10+ years older than me).

My dad sent me the picture in this post and it immediately took me back to the days we lived closer to his side of the family. As you can see from my face, it looks like I was enjoying my "girl time" with Patty.

Patty will be missed by so many in my family. Although I can't be there to hug them in person, I want each to know that I am there in spirit. My thoughts, prayers and best wishes are with each during this difficult time.

"Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven
where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down
upon us to let us know they are happy
." ~Author Unknown


2 comments:

Kathy said...

I'm so sorry about your cousin.
Big hugs!!
kathy

Grammy Suzzy said...

Tamara...what a truly lovely tribute to a truly lovely lady! Thank you for sharing such wonderful memories!