There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Where does the time go? This is the question I've pondered the most since becoming a mom. Even after the hardest of days, my mind asks this question as my head hits the pillow.

Through every stage I've wanted time to slow down - to freeze at some points - so I can enjoy the "moments" a little longer.

After years of thinking I'd never become a mother, I was blessed with the arrival of two beautiful baby girls - truly, two of the greatest blessings in my life. I'm grateful for each day that I get to spend with them - each is an opportunity to see them learn something new, and a chance for me to be a better mother to them than I was the day before.

And, since I'm reflecting in this post, I thought I'd include a couple of my favorite (and first) pictures I took after "Little Miss" and "Miss Independent" came home from the hospital. They were taken with my camera phone, which seemed so awesome at the time. Looking at them now I can see how poor the quality was, but the pictures and those few "moments" I had with them in their infant stage was priceless.

Before I close this post, I need to take a moment to thank two other moms... the two who are nearest and dearest to The Man and me...

Mom Beverly. Thank you for raising a son who is humble, loyal and honest. It's not hard to see where his best attributes come from. Like you, The Man knows no strangers and does everything he can to make others feel at ease. Speaking of which, your love for me, from the moment he took me home to meet you, put me at ease and has been appreciated more than you know. Thank you for being a wonderful mother to us and a loving "Grandma Beverly" to the girls.

Mom. You are an example to me and someone I’ve looked up to for as long as I can remember. Thank you for encouraging me to do my best and for being patient with me during my growing pains. I love your optimism and your sensitivity for others. Those are two of the best gifts you’ve shared with me. I love you more than you will ever know, and I truly appreciate everything you have and are still doing for me.

Happy Mother's Day to all!

No comments: