There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Monday, April 21, 2008

The Details

If I've heard it once, I've heard it a thousand times..."Tamara, you're all about the details."

It's true. I like details.

Whether it's planning a party, or planning the weekend...I like knowing the details. Perhaps it's because I like making the most of my time, or maybe it's because I function better with some structure. Either way -- I certainly prefer details and organization, but life happens and things get a little out of control at times.

My work requires that I focus hard on the details of writing. My personal life requires that I focus hard on the details of wifehood, motherhood, friendhood, etc. and so on. Sometimes I get tired of the details requiring my attention, but generally speaking, I enjoy keeping my "i's" dotted, "t's" crossed, and all of my writing "typo-free." (Yes, the period does belong inside the quote mark. Please don't get me started...)

Unfortunately, after years of being an over-achiever, I've come to realize I'm not perfect and that some of my "details" have gotten out of control. For the first time in my life I'm not able to keep up with it all (does anyone really keep up with it all?). And while I've always known that some of life's details aren't necessary, I've still had trouble letting them go.

Well...that ends today (fingers crossed).

The quote "life is in the details" still rings true for me, but I've decided it's not the right title for this Blog (that's another story) and that time is passing by too quickly for me to be caught up in the details that are wasteful, worrisome and not worthy of my effort, tears, etc.


Without going into too much detail (pun not-intended), I've had some personal challenges over the past 18-months. I've focused entirely on my relocation (to AZ from VA) and my immediate family because that seemed to be much easier than dealing with the pain of leaving the home I knew and loved for 24-years.

I've ignored e-mails, phone calls and letters from many of you and it wasn't intentional. I just kept sinking further down and focusing only on the things required for survival. Again, in an effort to spare you the details and to avoid sounding dramatic, I'll just say that I'm doing my best to bloom where I'm planted, now.

If you've received an invitation to read this blog it means that you're someone very close to me and someone I've most likely been out of touch with lately. While the above explanation is brief, it's true. I never imagined how much I'd miss my home and the friends I considered family. I thought (being the over-achiever that I am, or was), that I'd make this transition in my life with grace and style. Yeah -- that sooo didn't happen out here.

So, to make a long post short, let me try to summarize my light bulb moment.

Life comes with challenges.
Thankfully, challenges come with blessings
(even if they're not recognized right away).


Or, if you prefer the toddler-friendly version, which links back to the title of this blog:

Life is filled with sugar and spice.
It takes a bunch of ingredients, and lots of trials
(and errors) to make an award-winning recipe.


So if you're interested in seeing what's cooking in this kitchen (a.k.a. life in the Wyatt Household) I hope you'll check out our blog from time to time. It will offer:

- Pictures and details about the family
- Pictures and details about our life and house in AZ
- Pictures and stories about the weird (and sometimes scary) wildlife that comes to visit (last week a rattlesnake dropped by!)
- Updates on Skitterskat
- Anything else I can think of to keep you coming back

It's no episode of LOST (or my old fav, Alias), but I guarantee it will be interesting.

Stay tuned.
Love, T

7 comments:

MelanieL said...

I'm SOO glad you're doing this ...

What I'm reading: Sugar & Spice!
I'm hoping you'll inspire me to start one of these for myself ... here's hoping!
Have a good one!

kelly said...

Hooray! I can't wait for pictures. Now I see the girls any time I want to. You're an entertaining writer, and I look forward to reading your blog when I should be doing laundry.

Rachele Funk said...

I feel so very fortunate to be one included in your list and to be on the receiving end of your move from VA. I also hope (although not that I want it to happen) to be one you would truly missed if/when the day comes that your leaving this SW Desert Paradise. Ü

Hugs from me to you. Thank you for being you; no matter where you are planted!

Cousin Deb said...

Oh, I'm SO excited you are doing this, and so proud to be included! We love you guys and are happy to keep up with you.

You are such a talanted, loving and giving person. Hang in there because all of us West Coast Relatives love you living closer to us. But we do feel sad for all those you left behind.

Be good, don't work too hard, and kiss on my babies for me.

Cheryl said...

Welcome to the blogging world! We are also happy to see you in AZ although not as often as we'd like. Let's get together again soon :)

Marika Seymour said...

T,

I am sooooooo very grateful to be one of the recipients of this!!!!!!!! I too have been busy and have done a terrible job of keeping up with you, Curtis, Sydney and Claire. I am so happy that you are doing this. I know that whatever it is you put your mind to, despite the challenges, you will reign successful. You are a very special person and friend, Tamara. I have known it from day one, and it is a truth I continue to hold dear. I love you and miss you, and can't wait to see what all is up with the Wyatt family. Until next time, tell Curtis I said hi and give the girls a big hug and kiss for me.

Suzie Soda said...

Welcome to the blogging world. It really is so much fun to see what's going on in everyone's life.
Can't wait to check your's out all the time. I try to post on mine as reugulary as I can. I will see Genia and Crista on Wednesday night..will take your present to Genia. We will miss you terribly.
Can't wait until we see you again. Thinking of you and praying things will get better. Love you
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo