There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Saturday, May 10, 2008

I've been bitten...

There are several reasons I don't read for pleasure very often. Aside from not having a lot of extra time or energy, the primary reason is that I usually lose track of time and stay up past my bedtime. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE when good books carry me away, but it was a lot easier to "travel" before I became a mom.

That said, I'd like to take this opportunity to remind you that it IS important to "get away" every now and then; even if it's just by taking a trip to the couch with a good book in your hand. I'm compelled to share this reminder since I just took my own little "get away" with a book called, Twilight (Book 1 in a series of 3, soon to be 4), by Stephenie Meyer.

Even as I type this post with my eyes drooping, the lack of sleep was so worth the time invested in this story. It begins right here in Phoenix (which was really cool for me having just relocated) and it takes off to a place called Forks, Washington.

In a nutshell, Twilight is a love story between a human and a Vampire. (I'll pause for a moment, I can hear the gasps now...)

I know, I know. I don't do scary. I never have. I avoid scary books (sorry, Stephen King), scary movies, as well as the nightly news. So why on earth would I read anything with a Vampire in the main cast of characters?

For starters, Twilight is not scary, at least not really. I'd say it's more exhilarating than it is scary and if you don't believe me, just consider the tag line: "When you can live forever, what do you live for?" My heart is pounding...I LOVE IT! Additionally, you can view the movie trailer to judge the "exhilarating vs. scary" element for yourself.

(NOTE: I never recommend seeing a movie before reading the book, so promise me you'll view the trailer and then read the book, vs. viewing the trailer and then waiting for the movie. If you choose the latter, I won't allow you to join me on opening night. *grins*)

So, if you've viewed the trailer, read my plea, and STILL aren't convinced this book is worth your time, consider this...the author, Stephenie Meyer, is an LDS stay-at-home mom. I didn't know this prior to reading the book, but it sure made it that much sweeter.

Last but not least, I'd like to take a minute to thank Kathy C. for convincing me to invest some time in Twilight.I soooo needed the "get away" and I can't wait for the next one!

Enjoy! -T

5 comments:

KathyCarbs said...

You go girl!! I'm so glad you took the time for a "book vacation". Its wonderful isn't it!?
Ill bring the next book to church tomorrow ;)
hugs!!

Rachele Funk said...

hmmmm. . .

I was hoping to see a bit about your trip to the zoo, but maybe you didn't get there.

Glad you got to get away, even if it was only to your couch!

Tamara said...

We did make it to the zoo yesterday and fun was had by all! Unfortunately we forgot the camera and didn't dig out the camera phone. Regardless, we had a blast and really appreciated the tickets!

Cheryl said...

I've been wanting to read it. All my sister-in-laws love it. I heard the other books weren't as great though so maybe I'll stop at #1 and call it a beautiful thing.

KathyCarbs said...

Good luck trying to stop at number 1...lol!
Let us know how that works for you :)
Although I haven't met anyone who loved "The Host" so I am sticking to the "Twilight" series.
:)
Kathy