There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Friday, February 12, 2010

The Cat Whisperer turns 65!

So my dad turns 65 this Sunday.

Yup, Valentine's Day!

You couldn't find a man with a better heart if you looked the world over.

Yeah, yeah...I know all of your dads are special. But can you say that in addition to being special, they have the ability to whisper to cats?

If you've heard of the Dog Whisperer, then you know what I'm talking about. But my dad can do it with cats -- and yes, he should have his own show too (see photo -- this was taken in 1979 -- notice the cats have harnesses on?).

It's weird, my dad has been a cat magnet his whole life. They show up at the house and he takes them in -- tames the wildest ones and gets them to do cool things like ride in wagons.

This year, I made a Shutterfly Photo Book for him that highlighted some of the cats he's whispered to over the years. It was a great project and got rave reviews (see photo). Most importantly, it's a little journal that documents this special talent of his and something our family will treasure for years to come (I hope).

I love my dad and I hope he has a great birthday on Sunday. He deserves it.

I love you, Dad. And I love all of the many talents you've shared with me over the years. Happy 65th!