There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Goodbye, Rio Cat (1991-2010)

I can't believe I'm actually typing these words, but Rio Cat, my companion for more than 18 years, passed away on Monday night.

I knew the day was coming, but I didn't imagine how hard it would be to say goodbye.

I've lost pets throughout my life, but losing Rio feels different. It IS different.

Rio was the first cat I had on my own and he was all mine. We were a tight pair and together way before there was "The Man," or "The Girls."

He was there through every heartbreak -- laying beside me as I cried; and he was there for every joy, like when I brought two baby girls home from the hospital.

Rio was an extraordinary cat. If you knew him, you'll remember that he was always a little mischievous. He'd steal bread from the pantry and open up Hershey Kisses. He'd chew on anything plant-like and run off with green powdered doughnuts. He was certainly an original.

It's funny thinking back to the day I found him. Of the three kittens in the litter, he was my last choice. After his brother and sister were taken, I felt I'd "settled" for Rio. But immediately I found out I was wrong and he ended up being the pick of the litter. He was more loveable and personable than many other cats I've met. And when it comes down to it, I think he's the one who had to "settle" on me.

In many ways, he was my best friend. Like all pets, he was there through thick and thin. He loved me unconditionally -- even on the days when I forgot to put food in his bowl.

For more than 18 years we took care of each other and it will take a long time to get used to him being gone.

Thank you, Rio Cat, for sharing your life and love with me. You will be forever missed, my friend.

3 comments:

Rachele Funk said...

I know I posted on FB, but I just want to say again how sorry I am. I know more than most how hard it is. We have a new kitty (well, since September) that we've hand raised since he was found at less than 10 days old. He's AMAZING! He is my Booger reincarnate and slightly improved!

Trust me when I say Rio didn't settle and I want you to know that my heart hurt and a tear fell from my eye as I read your post. I know you shed a few too.

Love ya! Rachele

Whitney said...

:( Sorry to hear that Tamara! Rio was a GREAT cat!

The Kindle Family said...

Oh I am so sorry Sister Wyatt! I hope you are doing well and that you know Rio Cat is in a better place ;)!