There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Dear Kindergarten:


Since we're meeting each other for the first time, I thought it would be fair to warn you that I'm going to be one of THOSE parents.


You know...



The kind of parent who:
  • Cries the first time they open the school doors.
  • Cries when walking down the hall to her child's classroom.
  • Cries when filling out paperwork.
  • Cries when talking to the office staff/teacher/principal for the first time.
  • Cries while taking a gazillion pictures of her babies.

You know...


The kind of parent who:
  • Does all of this at Kindergarten Orientation -- BEFORE school even starts!

Yup. That's ME. I'm one of those parents!

However, in fairness, there's a reason I'm THAT kind of parent.

I am the parent of twins.

Let me rephrase.

I am the parent of ONLY twins!

I am going through this process for the first AND last time -- AT THE SAME TIME! My emotional state is working double duty because I'm sending my first and last babies out into the world -- at the very same time -- and it's killing me.

Yes, I know I didn't warn you that I would cry like a baby today. In all honesty, I didn't know I would. And, yes, I will probably do the same thing next week when school starts...

BUT, please don't judge me on these days alone.

Just bear with me and understand that while I've had years to prepare myself, the time has gone by too quickly and I'm still not ready to let my children go. Not just yet.

Surely I'm not alone in feeling this way, Kindergarten, so I'd appreciate you empathizing with me and all of the other parents going through similar situations.

In closing, I appreciate your patience -- in advance -- for I have no idea how I will act or react during our one-time-only, year-long relationship. With that said, I say "let the madness... I mean, wonderful memory-making begin!"

Sincerely yours,
THAT Parent (at least for now)


3 comments:

Rachele Funk said...

Meeee TWOOOOOOOO!!!!

I cry everytime I talk to the teachers/administration EVERY Time I talk about my kids. . . What can I say?!?!?

Mission calls anyone?!?!? I'm already dreading with great anticipation (I know, I know) that day!!!

The Kindle Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Kindle Family said...

Ahh so sweet! What school are they going to? How are you liking your new house?