There are two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children. One of these is roots, the other, wings.

- Hodding Carter

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Hello, Kindergarten!

Little Miss and Miss Independent
September 7, 2010
WE DID IT!

And by WE, I mean...

ME -- I DID IT!

I was able to send them off -- on time and everything.

The girls did great. They were soooo excited to get on the bus. Of course my camera battery died after two pictures (apparently I'd left it on by accident the night before), so all of my pictures came via the iPhone and some really nice neighbors.

Stinger Bee Breakfast





But despite all of that, the day was great. We started with a "Stinger Bee Breakfast" (in honor of the school mascot). I made scrambled eggs, bacon and toast and shaped everything on the plate. Although I thought it looked like a bee, the kids thought it looked more like a bat. Here's a picture so you can decide.

The table was decorated with yellow and black accents. At each place setting was a new book, some flash cards and a really cool Tervis Tumbler with a bee on it. This breakfast idea will hopefully become a tradition that we do each year on the first day of school.

So after a few pictures, we walked to the bus stop. There were tons of parents and kids waiting with anticipation. There were at least six other Kindergartner's, so the girls made some immediate friends.

When the bus arrived, both girls ran to get in line. They totally forgot about mommy and daddy and didn't even look back for a picture. I managed to capture them getting to the door, but that was it. And since they are riding a newer style bus with tinted windows, I couldn't see which seat they were in. So, I ended up blowing kisses to every kid on the bus. :)

As far as crying goes, I managed to hold it together until the bus pulled away. The walk home was hard but I made it. Overall, I think I did pretty good -- all things considering (no sleep the night before, constant anxiety, etc.). I concentrated on work until it was time to go back to the bus stop to pick them up. It was so fun when they arrived. They had a ton of stories to share and said they were excited to go back.

In a nutshell -- this worrisome mom couldn't be happier with how the day turned out. And, hopefully, from here on out, I'll be much less worrisome (yeah, right).

Thanks to everyone who called to check on me throughout the first day. Your comforting words meant so much to me.

Here's to a great school year!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Cute blog Tamara! I love the BEE breakfast... it looks like a Bee to me... and SO cute and cleaver!

:)

Tamara said...

Thanks, Amanda! And thank you, too, for the pictures!